I have had requests for quick tips on networking. Many of you know I am an Executive Career Coach and Professional Resume Writer. You’ll find my blogs written on the topics of resumes, networking, interviewing, social networking, negotiating and many other subjects related to help you through career transition. Today, I’ll share with you the importance of the 30 Second Commercial and the 3 “Must Have” tips to include in your 30 second commercial.
Why the 30 Second Commercial is important for job seeker's networking!
Your 30 second commercial is often referred to as the “elevator speech.” As a job seeker, you want to be ready, at a moment’s notice, with your “30 Second Commercial” as you run into people in your daily life. I call these people "angels along the way." Why? Because metaphorically speaking, when one door closes, new doors are opening up for you. And, I would like to help you recognize the doors as they open. For example, without being prepared with your 30 Second Commercial, you may never know the person who was standing behind you in line at the grocery store was the one with a contact for your next job. So, it is important to think “Networking minded” by being prepared at all times to let people know you are networking.
In addition to social networking on Facebook and LinkedIn, it is wise for you to be networking with your banker, doctor’s office personnel, veterinarian office, cleaning lady (you don’t know whose houses she's cleaning, now do you?) She could be cleaning a business or house of someone you’d like to work, or knows someone else.) Maybe it’s your neighbor. Remember, it's not who you know, it's who they know that may lead you to the next great job!
Here are the Top 3 “Must Have” Networking Tips for your 30 Second Commercial.
1. Let the potential networking contact know you’re not just looking for a job.
2. Make it clear to the potential networking contact you are interested in a contact name for a specific company or specific industry.
1. Let the potential networking contact know you’re not just looking for a job. It’s important when you’re preparing a 30 Second Commercial to include, “I’m not just looking for a job. I’m networking, looking for contact names." Why? There are a lot more people who may know someone working at the company or in the industry you are interested, then people that know of a job opening.
2. Make it clear to the potential networking contact you are interested in a contact name of someone they may know at a specific company or specific industry. It’s important you ask “Do you know anyone at the ABC Corporation or in the ABC industry. Why? This is an opportunity for you to tap into the unadvertised job market and set up your own informational meetings, before the potential jobs get posted. There is no competition which is one reason this process works so well.
3. Create a networking business card. It’s a good idea to have networking business cards with you ready to hand out to the people you meet at all times. This networking card is similar to a business card without the company name. Include your contact information, i.e., your name, phone number, email address social networking information for LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook along with a descriptive job title. For example, Health Care Executive Manager. Vistaprint.com will print networking business cards for free. You just pay for shipping.
If you are a job seeker, I would like to encourage you to check out HiringforHope.org, and become a member of this very special non profit organization, whose purpose is to help people through career transition. This is where you can volunteer. And, you too, can make a difference.
Do you need immediate help with job interviewing, social networking or salary negotiating? Or, maybe you're thinking about hiring a professional resume writer to help you write your resume. I can help. To email me a comment, ask a question or schedule a free initial phone consultation, please give me a call or contact me at www.JustResumesUSA.com.